- Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet video games are set to launch this year.
- Three new Pokémon were unveiled as part of the new games.
- Players will be able to change more of their character’s features to look the way they want.
Explore “sprawling landscapes and vibrant towns” in the Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet video games, set to launch later this year on the Nintendo Switch.
The Pokémon Company International revealed more details Wednesday about its upcoming mainline games, which feature three new characters, a new region, treasure hunts and more, according to a statement from the company.
Players can find a number of locations – including a farming village and bustling port town – in the Paldea region, “a land of vast open spaces dotted with lakes, towering peaks, wastelands, and perilous mountain ranges” where a player begins their journey.
New Pokémon include Fidough, Paldean Wooper, Cetitan
In addition to living amongst lots of people, Pokémon live in treetops, rivers, and other parts of the wilderness.
Here’s a look at some of the new Pokémon.
- Category: Puppy Pokémon
- Type: Fairy
- Characteristics: Puffs up its elastic skin to appear bigger and intimidate opponents, yeast in breath for cooking.
- Ability: Own Tempo
- Category: Poison Fish Pokémon
- Type: Poison/Ground
- Characteristics: Cover their heavy bodies with a poisonous film, moves slowly, shoots powerful poisonous liquids from their gills
- Ability: Poison Point / Water Absorb
- Category: Tera Whale Pokémon
- Type: Ice
- Characteristics: Tough muscles, immense body, powerful physical attack
- Ability: Thick Fat for snowy regions / Slush Rush
More features include Poké Portal, Tera Raid Battles
The “Poké Portal” allows players to trade and battle with trainers all over the world, the statement said.
Players will now have the ability to change their character’s eye shape, mouth shape and “more to look the way you want to look,” the statement said.
Depending on which game you play, both children and adults will attend Naranja Academy or Uva Academy to sharpen their battling skills and learn about Pokémon biology. Here, players will be assigned to embark on a treasure hunt across Paldea.
Tera Raid Battles, a completely new battle format, allows teams of four trainers to take on a Terastallized wild Pokémon.
Only found in Paldea, a crownlike Tera Jewel can appear above the heads of all Pokémon, making them gain special powers and “Terastallize” like a glistening gemstone.
When used, the Terastal Phenomenon enhances a player’s battle strategy and power.
Violet, Scarlet release date
Pokémon Violet and Scarlet video games launch November 18, 2022.
Camille Fine is a trending visual producer on USA TODAY’s NOW team.